2011 Minutes




Call to Order

Marcy called the meeting to order and thanked the hostesses, Sanford Dunklin, Mandy Culpepper, Lisa Hinson, and Lamar Smith.  Marcy noted the large attendance and what a treat it was to be in Sanford Dunklin’s lovely home.

Old Business:

October Minutes….Having been sent and read by email, the motion was made and carried that they be accepted.

Marcy announced that last month’s meeting at the Quarry Garden was well attended, very productive, and a fun day for the members.    She also added that 8-10 people had attended the Speech School workday, and they too had a good time socializing while they raked the Mimosa Garden. There will be another workday in the spring.

New Business:

Treasurer, Julie Harlan, gave a report on the club’s finances to date.  All 3 accounts are in good shape.  The Operating Account has a balance of $18,360.38 which includes members who have paid dues so far.  The Party Account has $6,000 before our annual payout to the Speech School, and the Quarry Garden.  The Savings Account has $5,347. Twenty three members still need to pay dues to A. Brady.

Vice President/Party Chair, Catherine Fleetwood, announced that she and Co-chair,

Lori Kennedy, had been making plans for the Mimosa Party on May 9, and had chosen the committee chairmen. They passed around the committee sign up board and encouraged everyone to join a committee, because they are going to need help.   She also explained that the theme “Vintage Mimosa” was derived from the house itself, which has charming architectural features of the homes built in the 20’s and 30’s.  Food, decorations, and an auction will all reflect the theme.  She also told us that they had purchased the home from the Niles estate, which was the childhood home of Sally Allen.  She then asked everyone to begin looking for vintage fashion items such as jewelry, purses, scarves and decorative pieces for the raffle.  The raffle will be called “The Designer Vintage Market” and she would like to have about 10 to 20 items.   

Marcy reminded members that is time to begin thinking about new member nominations for next year, and to contact her if you need a nomination form.  It appears now that we can take 4 people, if we agree in January to change our limit of 3 for this year.


Jinny Keough said that Quarry Garden Director, Sarah Roberts, had a baby boy a few days after our meeting in October, and she would send her a card from Mimosa. Sarah will return to work in January.

Marcy then turned the meeting over to Mary Huntz, who introduced the speaker, Jill Helmer, a popular and talented floral designer and author of a new book, ”Evergreen, Decorating With The Colors Of The Season”.  With wit and skill, Jill created several arrangements, expressing her philosophy of….keep it simple and stress free, using plant material from your yard and containers and decorative pieces from your own home.

Following adjournment, a delicious lunch was served by the hostesses.

Respectfully submitted,   

Nancy Powell and Anna Muir, Secretaries



October 2011

The workday began in the garden with the new curator Sarah Roberts.

Marcy called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.

She thanked the hostesses…….Wawa Hines. Mary Huntz, Leslie Morgan, and Mary Mac Sutherland for the luncheon and the lovely fall flowers.

Old Business…….Nancy Powell read the Sept minutes, which were approved and submitted.

New Business…..

Speech School…..Terri Alston talked about work days at the SS and got people to sign up for the workday on Fri. Nov.4 at 10am. There will be another work day in the spring.

Quarry Garden……Jinny introduced Sarah to all who may not have attended the cleanup earlier, and thanked everyone who worked in the quarry garden before the meeting.

Treasurer’s report….in Amanda’s absence, Marcy stated that 75 members have paid their dues, which comes to $3750 thus far.   Marcy reminded everyone to pay their dues if they have yet to do so.

Yearbook…….Leslie Morgan reminded everyone to pick up there yearbook membership section.

Scrapbook…..Edwina reminded everyone to take pictures of our activities, meetings,etc and any other items for our scrapbook and turn them in to her as soon as they can. 

Party….In Catherine Fleetwood’s absence, Marcy stated that Catherine Fleetwood, Mandy Culpepper and Lori Kennedy will be meeting in the next few weeks to begin plans for the party on May 9th.         


Signing up for meetings in 2013 is in better shape but we still have some openings. There was talk about discussing options for hosting since we do not have enough active members to fill the hosting slots (i.e. non-resident hosts possibly hosting, etc.)

Reminder that The Fulton Federation of Garden Clubs is having their November 14th meeting at Heeneys Wholesale Floral.

Reminder of the John Muir Exhibit at the History Center.

As there was no more business, the meeting was turned over to Mary Huntz, who introduced Sarah Roberts, the new Quarry Garden curator. Sarah explained in detail the new database and tagging system she is working on, that will allow for a detailed interactive map of the garden to be available in the future. She also talked about her history and herself.




 Marcy McTier called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone back.  She thanked Catherine Fleetwood , Jane Sterne, Jane Tracy and Nancy Tracy for hosting the meeting at Southface, a non profit company that provides environmental advice, services and educational classes to the public.

Southface has been around 34 years, the mission is to promote and educate sustainable buildings.  The Whitehead Bio Medical Building at Emory was the sustainable building in the city Atlanta.

We learned about the LEED program and Earth Craft buildings.  Neither are required, however, a certain standard applies.  The Southface house was built in 1996 with features such as light shelves (harvesting daylight can save half of the energy of traditional lighting), rapidly renewable energy sources.  Everything in the building is eco friendly from the pain t to the carpet to the adhesives.

Marcy recognized the new members, Jennifer Euart, Parker Tekin and Liz Irby.  She also recognized Mandy Culpepper, the new member liaison.

Officer Reports:

Having been emailed, the May minutes were approved and submitted, and everyone was reminded to sign the attendance sheet.

Speech School:

Nicole Warren reminded everyone about the required work days and encouraged everyone to sign up to help for 2 hours sometime during the year.

Quarry Garden:

Jinny Keough said the Quarry Garden as another new Director and hopefully she will be able to attend our work day and meeting at the History Center in October.

She also announced that a special Flower Festival coming to St. Phillips Catheradral on October 5 and 6.

Corresponding Secretary Rawson Grobety spoke about the use of our hotmail service and asked anyone not getting the mail or having trouble opening the Evite to let her know and she would try to help them.  Our goal is to go paperless in the next year to save trees!


Leslie Morgan reminded everyone not to forget to pick up their new yearbook pages.  The yearbook is smaller this year because of an effort to have more information online,


Lois Yates told us about the lovely luncheon she and Marianne Craft had for the new members in late August.  She also asked the members not hostessing this year to quickly sign up on the chart for next year and to remember the new “rule of 4” hostesses, unless there is a special need for a 5th.


Sallie Smith gave us a brief “history fact” by reminding us of when, where and why the Atlanta Speech School was founded by the Hamm Family, who had a deaf child and realized there was no where for the child to get the therapies and school that he needed, and how Mimosa became involved in the garden.

Flower Show:

Shelby Drinkard announced that there will not be a Flower Show this year.  The organizers are skipping this year to allow more time to plan a special celebration for the 25th Anniversary in 2013.


VP Catherine Fleetwood announced that she will be chairing and hosting the bi-annual Mimosa party at her house this year, which will be on Wednesday, May 9.  We will be doing a Mimosa market theme with things to be auctioned off such as jams, jellies, etc.  It was discussed that the new members be in charge of the flower arrangements since they would not be able to do the flower show this year.


Marcy announced that Guerry Redmon’s mother, Rae Neal Morris, had also passed away in mid August after a long illiness.

The Fulton Federation of Garden Clubs, of which Mimosa is a member is having their November 14th meeting at Heeneys Wholesale Floral.  The program is Holiday Workshop with an opportunity to make purchases.

An article sent from Elizabeth Morgan informed the membership of an up coming John Muir exhibit in the Cherokee Library at the History Museum.  The exhibit is about Muir’s botany writings and travels throughout the southeast, and runs from October 12th  to December 4th.

As there was no more business, the meeting was then turned over to Sophie Mason, who introduced our Speaker, Laura Case, who gave us a very interesting talk about Southface as well as a tour of the facilities.  We saw the gardens and heard why they had planted what they planted.  She explained that the sidewalks were porous to catch all of the rainwater possible.  We saw the compost pile and had a brief explanation of how it works and what all goes into it.  We then toured the rooftop garden and saw how it was built and the benefit of the garden.



May 24, 2011

Call Meeting To Order and Welcome Everyone:

Thank Hostesses:

Eileen thanked the hostess today – Caroline Millican, Amanda Brady, Libby Lanier, Jean Glenn.

Official Business:

Everyone should have received the minutes from the April meeting. There were no additions or corrections, and the minutes were approved as submitted.

Eileen thanked Mary Huntz again for organizing such an amazing garden tour in Madison, GA. Hopefully, we can do it again and spend more time at Mary’s farm!! It was thrilling to see.


Treasurer: Eileen reminded everyone to turn in any receipts for expenses incurred that need reimbursement.   Please give them to Eileen.


1. We are thrilled to welcome and introduce our three new members to Mimosa: Jennifer Alston Euart, Liz Day Irby, Parker Allen Tekin.   They all have strong family ties to Mimosa and we are so lucky to have them!!

  • Jennifer – Gayle Alston’s daughter, sister-in-law to Terri, and related to the Glenns and Alstons. She is multi-talented and has a lot of experience with flowers. She has two daughters.
  • Liz – Linda Beth’s daughter-in-law, sister-in-law to Laura and Gregg Irby. She has in interest in flowers, in addition to being a wife, mother, lawyer and volunteer.
  • Parker – Tricia’s daughter and Sally Allen’s niece.   Parker has a young daughter, is an active volunteer and has tons of enthusiasm.

2. Eileen thanked all the members of the Mimosa Board for their efforts this year. We have had great attendance. Everyone has paid dues. We are in great shape for next year!!!!

3. Eileen officially passed the gavel to Marcy McTier, who begins her term as President of Mimosa. Eileen will be working with Gregg Irby on the website.


With no further business, I’d like to have Sophie introduce our speaker Tony Aeck “What the Trust for Public Land has done for Georgia”



April 26, 2011

Call Meeting To Order and Welcome Everyone:

Thank Hostesses:

Eileen thanked her co-hostesses Shayla Rumely, Jinny Keough and Mickie Keough for the bus trip and lunch in Madison. Mary Huntz has done a tremendous job putting the program together.

Official Business:

Everyone should have received the minutes from the February meeting. If there are no additions or corrections, then the minutes will be approved as submitted.

Remember to sign the attendance sheet.


No Reports.


  • The New Member Ballots have been counted and we are thrilled to welcome three new members into Mimosa: Jennifer Alston Euart, Liz Day Irby, Parker Allen Tekin.
  • The Slate for 2011-12 is very close to being finalized.


Marcy McTier

Vice President

Catherine Fleetwood

2nd Vice President, Speech School

Terri Alston, Nicole Warren. Caroline Davis

3rd Vice Presidents, Quarry Garden

Jinny Keough. Shelby Neely

Recording Secretaries

Anna Muir, Nancy Powell

Corresponding Secretaries

Rawson Grobety, Libby Lanier (mail)


Julie Harlan, Amanda Brady, Emily Jordan


Leslie Morgan, Kendrick Williams


Gregg Irby, Eileen Millard


Sophie Mason, Mary Huntz


Lois Yates, Marianne Craft

Publicity and Scrapbook

Edwina Johnson

Historian & Parlimentarian

Sallie Smith

Flower Show

Shelby Drinkard, Claire Marie Huff


Catherine Fleetwood, Lori Kennedy

  • With sadness I need to report that Betty Garges passed away one week ago. Betty was Esther Garges mother-in-law and was a member of Mimosa for many years.  Her funeral took place Monday, April 25th at 11am at Arlington.
  • I’d like to recognize a Mary Huntz and Sophie Mason for the tremendous job they have done coordinating programs this year. I’m so excited that they have signed up to do programs again next year. Thank you both!



March 22, 2011

 Eileen called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.

 Thanked Hostesses:

Eileen thanked Anna Muir, Tee Davis, Julie Harlan and Julie George for hosting us at the Biltmore Imperial Ballroom.

Official Business:

Everyone should have received the minutes from the February meeting. The minutes were approved and submitted.

Everyone, please remember to sign the attendance sheet.

Executive Committee Reports:

Treasurer Report:

Amanda Brady: Party money was distributed.

Speech School Report: Sissy/Lois: For the website, we need photos of the Speech School Garden and a breif write up about our work by April.

Quarry Garden Report: Jinny/Shelby: Also for the website, we need photos of the Quarry and a brief write up by April. everything is blooming in the Quarry Garden, please visit. They hired a part time gardener to work on inventory and GPS data.

Yearbook: Nancy Tracy/ Catherine Fleetwood. Eventually the yearbooks will phase out to our website. Next year we will print out only the contact portion of the yearbook.

Website: Jackie Cushman. The website is a work in progress.

Hostess Chart: Kendrick Williams reports all hostess slots for 2011-12 are filled. Kendrick and Dicksie will send 2011-12 hostesses an email reminding them of their hostess duty. They have been very well organized!

Flower Show Report: Shelby Drinkard/Claire Marie Huff:

We had a great showing at the Flower Show! All those people who entered the Flower show stood up and were recognized. We swept the Amaryllis category with blue, red and yellow. Thanks to all who participated!

Our member’s-elect won the Blue ribbon for their window box. They stood up and were recognized.


Reminder that we have three new member spaces available for the next year. Proposal forms are due today and Eileen will mail out the ballot this week.

The Slate for 2011-12 is almost finalized. Thanks to all of you who are currently serving and planing to serve again. Thanks to all the new participation, we appreciate all of you who said yes! We still need to fill one job.

Sadly, Dr Ed Loughlin passed away this weekend. Memorial service is today at the H.M Patterson, Spring Hill. The family will receive friends at Patterson’s following the service. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Department of Othopedics at Grady Memorial Hospital, 49 Jesse Hill Drive, Atlanta, Ga 30303.

Our hearts go out to our own Linda Beth. Linda Beth, Laura Irby Smith, Greg Irby and the entire family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Eileen recognized Julie Harlan for all of her hard work and agreeing to be the Treasurer for two years!

Sophie Mason introduced Kevin Murray.



February 22, 2011

Eileen called meeting to order and welcomed everyone.

Thanked Hostesses:

Eileen thanked The Glenns- Betty, Nancy, Jean and Lyn for hosting us at the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Official Business:

Everyone should have received minutes from the January meeting. The minutes were approved and submitted.

Everyone please remember to sign the attendance sheet.

Executive Committee Reports:

Treasurer Report:

Amanda Brady: Gave a “Statement of Accounts” detailing the amount of Mimosa’s checking , savings and party accounts. This sheet also states what our “two year commitments” are and for what amounts. These will be included in our minutes from this meeting.

We have decided this year to split the party profits between Speech School and the Quarry. Amanda will be distributing these funds in February this year.

Dues: We are almost at !00% participation!

Speech School Report: Sissy/ Lois: For the website, we will need photos of the Speech School Garden and a brief write up about our work by April.

Quarry Garden Report: Jinny/Shelby: Also, for the website we will need photos of the Quarry and a brief write up by April.

Yearbook:Nancy Tracy/Catherine Fleetwood: had the yearbooks at the meeting for us to pick up. Eventually these will phase out to our new website. Next year we will print out the contact portion of the yearbook. As you will see, the rest will be online.

Website: Jackie Cushman: The website is a work in progress.

Hostess Chart:Kendrick Williams reports all hostess slots for 2011-12 are filled. You can check the sign up sheet.

Flower Show Report: Shelby Drinkard/Claire Marie Huff: Mimosa has shown the SE Flower Show it’s spirit and has tried to fill slots in empty categories. Originally, Mary Norwood requested entries in the Underwater and Novice Classes. She then needed entries in Garden Design-G17 category. We have a group submitting two entires in the G17 category.

Claire Marie discussed the Flower Show and presented some “clippings” that can win ribbons. A sheet with examples was passed around.

FYI the FLower Show is February 25-27th. The theme is “In Tune With Blooms”. Parking is available across the street and it is free!

Lori Kennedy and our group of new members have really been working hard! Can’t wait to see their Creation. Bob Marley is their topic and it is a window box.

Tickets to the Flower Show were raffled off and given out.


Reminder that we have three new member spaces available for next year. Eileen has the proposal forms. Proposals are due by our next meeting on March 22nd.

The Speaker for the March meeting had a scheduling conflict. Hopefully, Barbara Bing will speak to us in September. Mary Huntz did get a fantastic replacement, Kevin Murray- an expert on container gardening with succulents.

Van Flanigan did resign in good standing.

Sanford is taking donations for flowers to send to Hoodie.

Eileen recognized a few members that are really working hard for Mimosa and going the extra mile. They were: Leslie Morgan, Amanda Brady, Jinny Keough and Shelby Neely

Edwina would like any photos from the Flower Show for the Scrapbook.

Mary Huntz introduced our speaker, Mary Palmer Dargan.



January 25, 2011

Call Meeting To Order and Welcome Everyone:

Thank Hostesses:

Eileen thanked our hostesses Sophie Mason, Marcy McTier, Esther Garges, Sissy Davis.

Introduce Comer Yates

Eileen thanked Comer Yates, Executive Director of the Atlanta Speech School and said that he, Iris, Haven, Leonard all make Mimosa feel welcomed and loved. Eileen thanked them for their generous hospitality including the beautiful flower arrangements on the table and for the important work they do at Speech School. Comer said a few words about what the Speech School is currently focused on.

Official Business:

The November minutes were approved as submitted.


Treasurer Report:

Gregg Irby: DUES ARE OVERDUE and a late fee of $25 will be charged to those six Members who have not paid.

Amanda Brady: At the February meeting, Amanda will give a “Statement of Accounts” detailing the amount in Mimosa’s checking, savings and party accounts.

We have decided this year to split the party profits between the Speech School and the Quarry. Amanda will be distributing these funds in February this year.

Speech School Report: Sissy/Lois: We have had some new planting in the garden. Planters donated a tree in Hazel Hilsman’s memory. We usually have our 2nd workday just before this meeting but it is just too cold. Maybe we can see if there is any interest in having one in the spring. Our last workday in November Terri Alston was our only worker.

For the website, we need photos of the Speech School Garden and a brief write up about our work here.

Quarry Garden Report: Jinny Keough discussed the plant records project that Mimosa is funding with the party money. They will use the money we give them to hire a worker to enter plant information into their software and they are very excited about the project.

Also, for the website, we need photos of the Quarry and a brief write up.

Corresponding Secretary: Rawson Grobety encouraged by the evite response but still a handful who may not check email. If you do not have email or know someone who does not use email, please let Rawson know so those names could be added to non-email list.

Yearbook: Nancy Tracy /Catherine Fleetwood had the yearbooks at the meeting for us to pick up. Eventually these will phase out to our new website. Next year we will print out the contact portion of the yearbook. As you will see, the rest is online.

Website: Eileen showed us a first draft of the website online. It looks great and all of our info is being loaded into it.   Our goal is to get it up and running for the new slate of officers.

Hostess Chart: Kendrick Williams reports thatwe need six more hostess slots to fill for next year.   We have no hosts for the month of May.

Issue for next year: If we cannot fill our hostess spots for the upcoming year then I think we need to increase our new members in 2012 from 3 to 5 or 6.

Flower Show Report: Shelby Drinkard /Claire Marie Huff: Mimosa will sponsor the best topiary plant in show which has the Candy Simmons trophy – judges will check ivy and par.

Claire Marie and Shelby discussed the flower show, registration deadlines, and a possible ‘field trip’ to the Show which would be on February 25th. At the February meeting they will present ‘yard clippings’ that can win ribbons!!

FYI the Flower Show is scheduled for Feb. 25 –Feb. 27 at the Cobb Galleria Center. The theme is ‘In tune with blooms’. February 20th is the registration deadline for online entries and for mail in registrations, envelope must be post marked by February 14th.

Lori Kennedy discussed the Members-Elect 2009/2010 project. The group has picked ‘Musical Note-ables’ as their category. It is a planted balcony window box of a famous musical personality. They have selected Bob Marley. They are busy working on this project.


1. New Member Proposals:

We have openings for three new members this year. Please see Eileen for new member proposal forms. Proposals are due before the March 22nd meeting. Eileen will then send an official ballot to the entire Membership. Those ballots will be returned and counted at the April meeting.

Please remember if you were a sponsor or endorser last year you may not sponsor or endorse a different person this year. You must be a Member for three years before you can sponsor or endorse a candidate.

2. Nominating Committee:

We nominated 1 active and 1 associate to serve on the Nominating Committee to put together a slate for next year. Nominees are: Emily Jordan – active and Susan Virgin – associate. Both were approved and will meet in February to put the slate together.

If anyone is interested in serving on the Board please let Eileen know!

3. By-Law Change:

Eileen recommended that a motion be introduced to create a Website Standing Committee (pg. 14 of the yearbook) which is considered a by-law change. This committee will continue to work on the website and update it. Ideally this job would be a two-year commitment. The website will need to be maintained every year – similar to the yearbook.

This was approved.

4. Yearbook Guideline Revision:

Eileen suggested that we change the wording on pg. 15 of our handbook under hostess guidelines. “The number of hostesses per meeting is limited to four, except in the case of Mimosa family members who exceed that number by one. These hostesses are responsible for coordinating with Program Chairs, in addition to lunch, finding a location for the meeting, renting chairs/tables if needed and decorating the tables.”

This was approved.


Eileen recognized a few Members who are working really hard for Mimosa. The first MVP was Sissy Davis who has had every job in Mimosa. She is a constant advisor and always willing to help when asked. We are all so appreciative of Sissy’s service to our group.

The second MVP was Caroline Davis. We are so grateful for all that she does and all the support she gives Mimosa.

Garden Clubs of Georgia Newsletter is available for pick-up and online.

Edwina made an announcement regarding the World Association of Flower Arrangers (“WAFA”). WAFA is hosting their 10th world flower show on June 15-19 in Boston, which is the first time the show will be held in the US. Mimosa decided to make a donation of $500 to WAFA.

Sophie Mason tointroduce our own Sandy Jones who will give us “Tips for Entering the Flower Show”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *